Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Why Fictional Men Have Given Me Unrealistic Expectations

Hi guys,
  It's Wednesday! Only two more days until the weekend and Friday is Valentine's Day. I'm not sure about everyone else but I'm excited because Valentine's Day is my niece's birthday and I get to spend the day with her. I have a great post planned for Friday as well (and don't worry, it won't be a mushy love post).
  Speaking of love, have you ever noticed how love stories are so much more romantic in books than in real life? I've noticed this way too many times yet I find myself wishing life could be like that too. I continue to read books with male characters who make me fall in love with them even though there's that little voice in the back of my mind reminding they're fictional.


  So in honor of Valentine's Day I've compiled a short list of fictional men who have given me unrealistic expectations. I know there's many more than just this short list but I've chosen the ones that are fresh in my mind at the moment.
  Here's the fictional men who make me wish that real men were as great as they are.

The Top 5 Fictional Men Who Have Given Me Unrealistic Expectations

-Jamie Fraser: from Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. The handsome young Scottish Highlander that main character Claire falls in love with. He can be very stubborn and has quite the temper but sees Claire as something precious that God has given him. He loves with her with all of his soul and still loves her when they are reunited after a 20 year separation. He gives himself completely to her.

Sam Heughan as Jamie Fraser

-Roger MacKenzie: from Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. Introduced as a young boy in the first Outlander novel, he is a 28 year-old man in the second novel and he falls in love with Breanna (Randall) Fraser. He continues to love her through everything and treats her with the utmost respect. He does everything he can to protect her and keep her happy. He's also Scottish and sings.

-Peter Lake: from Mark Helprin's "Winter's Tale."Originally a burglar, he changes his ways when he meets the lovely Beverly Penn of the wealthy Penn family. He falls in love with her despite the fact that she is dying of consumption. The story begins at the end of the 19th century and when Beverly dies Peter Lake disappears and is thought to be dead. Almost a hundred years later he is alive. He doesn't know who he is but his love for Beverly is still as strong as the day he met her. Even though he's not Irish he speaks with an Irish accent.

Colin Farrell as Peter Lake

-Matthew Clairmont: from Deborah Harkness' All Souls Trilogy. A British vampire who has lived for centuries. He meets and falls in love with Diana Bishop even though she is a witch. He continues his relationship with her and defies the rules between vampires and witches. (Yes, he's a vampire and not a man but he's such a gentleman; and he's not Edward Cullen).


-Fitzwilliam Darcy: from Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice." The confusing man who both frustrates and annoys Elizabeth Bennet. He has trouble figuring out his feelings at first and then struggles to show how he feels about her. He grows to admire and love her. He waxes poetic to her, at one point saying, "You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you." He's also British.

*Notice I haven't added Romeo Montague. This is because it's way too unrealistic to fall in love with someone after just a few days. Also, all of these characters have accents. I just can't help but love a man with a sexy accent. (Haha).


  These characters all have flaws but know how to love a woman fully and strive to be the best they can possibly be for her. None of them is perfect and that's part of why they entice me. This is not to say that there aren't real men who are as great as these men. It's just hard to find a man that will dedicate himself to a relationship as much as them. If you know of any men that live up to these expectations or you are one, please let me know. (I'd personally like my own Jamie Fraser, can anyone arrange that?)
  If there are any other fictional men you think should be added to this list let me know. Have a great day everyone! Thanks for reading!

                        Sincerely,
                                        Erin a.k.a. Bookworm

No comments:

Post a Comment