Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Modern-Day Mythology

Hey guys,
  It's Wednesday! We're halfway through the week and today is another sunny day. I'm hoping a lot of the snow melts before we get more, I would actually like to see the grass. After spending yesterday getting my cleaning done around the house I plan to spend today reading.
  I always have ideas for my posts floating around in my head and I've been thinking about today's post for a while. I finally thought of the right way to get my ideas written down. I've been interested in mythology for years now. I think it all began when I learned about King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table. I even had King Arthur paper dolls to play with (yeah, I know what you're thinking but I had so much fun). In 7th grade I learned about Greek and Roman mythology and I found it to be extremely fascinating.

                        My Encyclopedia of Mythology Book

  Since then, I've read much more about mythology and I have an encyclopedia of mythology that I love to look it. Not only do I read the original myths but I love reading modern fiction that incorporates mythology. I prefer reading about my favorite kinds of mythology: Greek, Roman, Celtic, and Norse. In the last few years I've also become more interested in Egyptian and Asian mythology. When I'm reading a book that incorporates mythology I immediatly have to look at my mythology book for any extra information.
  There are many books I've read that have incorporated mythology and I'll share a few of those with you in the hopes that it might make you more interested in myths.

Modern Novels with Mythology

-The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series by Michael Scott: this is one of my all time favorite teen series. There are so many mythological and historical figures throughout every books. The books incorporate mythological figures from all types of mythology. Some of the mythological figures included are Quetzalcoatl, Scathach, and Morrigan. I think the most prominent types of mythology are Norse, Greek and Native American. (6 books)


-The Tiger Saga by Colleen Houck: this is another favorite teen series of mine. The series focuses on Indian/Hindu mythology. The mythological figures Vishnu and Shiva are featured heavily throughout the series. (4 books, could possibly be a 5th)


-Abandon Trilogy by Meg Cabot: this is a modern-day retelling of the Greek myth about Persephone and Hades. I loved the changes made to make this a modern story and I felt that the author stuck to the basics of the story without elaborating too much. (3 books)


-Avalon High by Meg Cabot: this is a modern-day story about the myth of King Arthur. I read this years ago but I still love it. (Even though Disney ruined the movie.) It features all of the prominent characters like Arthur, Guinevere, Lancelot, etc. Some of the characters have names that are a bit different but it's easy to tell who they represent.


-Furious by Jill Wolfson: I read this book a few months ago and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. It's a story about the three Furies of Greek mythology set in a modern-day high school. I hadn't previously read much about the Furies but I liked learning more about them.


  These are just teen books that I've enjoyed which incorporate mythology. There are many adult books I've enjoyed that also incorporate mythology. I'm sure I'll continue to read more about mythology, and maybe I'll even write a modern-day retelling of a myth someday.
  I hope you all enjoyed today's post. If you're interested in mythology you should definitely check out some of these books or look up some others that might interest you. Thanks for reading. Have a great Wednesday everyone!

                               Sincerely,
                                               Erin a.k.a. Bookworm

No comments:

Post a Comment