Thursday, February 27, 2014

It's Not An Obsession, It's A Lifestyle

Hi guys,
  I hope you're all having a great day. I've spent the day reading and relaxing. I finally made a trip to the library on Monday so I'm all stocked up on books. If there's going to be another snowstorm like they're predicting for Sunday then I definitely want to have plenty of books to read. (Although I would rather just have spring weather right now).
  Everyone obviously knows I'm a huge bookworm and one of the things bookworms do best is collect books. I'm no different from any other bookworms in this aspect. I buy books anywhere: online, bookstores, and basically any place they're available. This doesn't mean I buy just any books though. Years of buying books and reading have taught me to pick and choose which books I really want to own.

  I've learned which books I would rather just borrow from a friend or check out from the library and I've learned which books I absolutely have to own. The past few years I've begun getting rid of many of my teen novels. This is not because I don't enjoy them but because I don't like them enough to re-read them. I still read many teen novels but I don't see the need to own them if I don't feel the absolute need to buy them. I've kept a select few teen books that I love and want to share with my niece (or my own children) someday. I also have some children's books I've kept because I can't possibly get rid of every book from my childhood.
  I now own more adult novels and non-fiction books than teen/children's books. These include poetry collections, dictionaries (I'm not talking about regular dictionaries though), travel guides, history books, fictional books, and lots of classic novels. Among these are books I've acquired from my grandma and books given to me as gifts. What I really want to explain though is my method for buying books, because I don't just buy any book I think sounds good.


  I read so often that I'm never without a book and I constantly look for new books. The decision to buy a book is really quite simple for me. I buy a lot of books that I've already read but fell in love with and absolutely need to own them. Most of these are series or books by my favorite authors. These include the Outlander series, the Harry Potter series (or anything by J.K. Rowling), Dan Brown books, the All Souls Trilogy, classic novels (ones I've read and haven't read), J.R.R. Tolkien books, the Song of Ice and Fire series, and a lot of Shakespeare.
  Those are books I usually have to buy new because I want them to be in pristine condition when I get them. However, there are many books that I buy from Half-Price Books. There are so many great books I've randomly found there by looking through the clearance section. I also peruse the history section every time just in case I come across a book on a subject that interests me. While there are a lot of books I want to buy new there are some I don't mind buying used and Half-Price is where I always go for these.

  If you think this sounds like too much thought to put into buying books just try being a bookworm. If I didn't have rules for buying books I would buy everything in sight (no, really, if I had the money I really would). I will only say this once but book collecting is not an obsession, it's a lifestyle. To collect books you have to be dedicated and you have to want books more than other things you could be buying.
  I'd ideally like to have enough money someday to be able to buy first editions and other special books. Nothing is better than an old book with history, and I love imagining who could have owned it before. While I'm writing this I'm thinking it's time for another trip to Half-Price with my best friend. We find the best books when we're there together. Well, I'm off to eat a snack. Have a great day everyone! Thanks for reading!
                               Sincerely,
                                               Erin a.k.a. Bookworm


No comments:

Post a Comment