Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Soundtrack to a Story

Hey guys,
  I hope you all had a good weekend and a great Monday. Sorry I didn't post yesterday, I was spending time with a friend I hadn't seen in a while. I've been doing more brainstorming and I have some great posts planned for this week starting with today's post.
  Have you ever read a book and imagined a song that would be perfect for a scene? I've done this many times and I find myself searching my iPod for songs that go with the book I'm reading. Something about a scene in book can conjure up the music that fits with it. The past few years I've noticed that more authors are coming up with playlists to go with their novels. It can be a different experience to read a book while listening to music. I even find myself connecting songs I hear while reading with the current book in my hand.


 Why is it that we do this? Maybe it's because music and books are both stories. A song is basically a story in the form of music. So I think it makes sense to connect books and music. I'm even considering making a playlist for the novel I started writing.



  Another thought I've had is whether books turned into movies have the right soundtrack. It doesn't matter if the music has lyrics or not. Does it evoke the same emotions that the book did? If not, there's possibility that it was interpreted differently or the soundtrack just doesn't fit with the book.
  There's a few books turned into movies that I think have the right soundtrack. These include: The Harry Potter movies, The Hunger Games movies, The Twilight movies, and The Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit movies. Many of these soundtracks have music by popular artists such as Coldplay. I think that when a soundtrack doesn't fit with the story it can lose some of its importance. It can lose the emotion.



  If you happen to be reading a book at the moment try thinking of some songs that would work well with it. You'll understand what I mean about the song matching the scene or story. Now I'm off to go write and clean the house. I'll be back with more tomorrow. Thanks for reading!

                        Sincerely,
                                         Erin a.k.a. Bookworm

No comments:

Post a Comment