Wednesday, March 6, 2013

My "Special" Books

Hey guys,
 For today's post I'm going to share some of my favorite/special books I own. Lately I've been looking through all of my books, and seeing how many I still haven't read. Some of my books aren't just books to me, they're relics from a different time. I've always had a love for old books; the musty smell, the yellowed pages and the history just make me happy. I also have some books that are just special to me because of who they're from. Whether you love books or not I hope you can appreciate my love of books both old and new.

1. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens: This is an extremely special book to me. Not only because it's from my grandma (another book lover), but because it's a first edition. For those of you who don't know the first edition of a book is the first time it is printed and published. First editions don't mean as much with modern books but many classic novels are worth much more than a normal book. This first edition is from 1901. It's not in the best condition but I'm not looking to make money by selling it. To me, it's a link to the past.





2. Irving's Tales of a Traveller by Washington Irving: This collection of essays isn't as well known as Irving's other works, which include The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle. I enjoy both of those stories but I have yet to read Tales of a Traveller. My copy of the book was printed in 1865. It's not a first edition but I love how old it is and the notes left be a previous owner inside it. My grandma gave me the book but I don't know the history of it.




3. Shakespeare's Collected Works by William Shakespeare: I found this book in the basement of my Great-Grandma Mary's house. I stumbled across it when my family went through her things after her death. It includes all of Shakespeare's plays and his poems. It's from 1911 and it's just a gorgeous book.




4. The Iliad and The Odyssey by Homer: This isn't an old book but a beautiful leather-bound edition of Homer's epic poem about the hero Odysseus. My mom bought me this one year for my birthday knowing I would love it. I'm a little bit obsessed with Greek mythology, or really any type of  mythology. I read The Iliad and the Odyssey in high school but I think I'll re-read them for fun.



5. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson: My grandparents originally gave this book to my brother but he's not a fan of books (he can't remember the last book he read). He happily gave me the book and I've been meaning to read it ever since. It was published in 1915 and has a map of Treasure Island in it as well as a beautiful illustration on the front.



Honorable Mentions:
-Taming of the Shrew by William Shakespeare: 1926, it's Shakespeare, enough said
-Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen: 1940, one of my favorite books and from my grandma
-A Guest at the Ludlow by Bill Nye: 1896, from my grandma but I've never heard of this book
-Greek Self-Taught: 1936, used by my grandma and grandpa to learn Greek
-The Chief American Poets: 1933, from my great-grandma

These are my favorite books but what are yours? Do you have any books that are special to you? Feel free to share, and if anyone would like to do a guest post let me know. Hope you enjoyed reading about my favorite books.
Thanks for reading,
                     Erin a.k.a. Bookworm

No comments:

Post a Comment