Tuesday, March 5, 2013

From Books to the Big Screen

Hey guys,
 In keeping to the same theme as yesterday I've decided to write about books that have recently been made into movies, have movies coming to theaters soon, or books that will become movies. As much as like movies, when they're based on a book I love I can be very critical. Some of favorite books turned movies are the Harry Potter movies, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Hobbit and The Notebook. Other movie adaptations I haven't liked very well. That's why with all these new movie adaptations coming out I'm worried about being disappointed or seeing major plot changes. I already become annoyed when the actors cast for the movie look nothing like the character is described in the book. Here's some of the movie adaptations I'm interested in.

-Beautiful Creatures: This movie is in theaters now but I haven't been to see it, and honestly after finding out the ending has been altered doesn't make me any more inclined to see it. As for the cast I thought they did pretty well with sticking to how the character is described.
Books: 4 books, by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl (2009-2012) (in order: Beautiful Creatures, Beautiful Darkness, Beautiful Chaos, and Beautiful Redemption
1 e-book short story (Dream Dark)
Movie: In theaters now.




-The Host: I have to say I'm not to excited to see this made into a movie but it's coming to theaters at the  end of the month so I'll just have deal with it. After reading the Twilight books by Stephanie Meyer I'll admit that I was extremely hesitant to read The Host. When I finally read the book I wasn't sure if I liked it or not, in fact, I'm still not sure. I suppose I'll rent this movie but I won't be paying to see it in theaters.
Book: By Stephanie Meyer, 1 book (2008), it's science fiction so a big change from the Twilight series.
Movie: In theaters March 29, 2013




-The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones: I've seen these books at bookstores and the library but never thought to pick them up and read them. I'd heard about the movie but it wasn't until my friend told me she'd read them and was hooked. At my next trip to the library I picked up the first one. When I was only a couple of chapters in I realized I was enjoying the book, a lot. So I read the other four books in the series and preceded to read the two books in the prequel series. Now I'm just as excited as all the other fans for the movie be in theaters in August.
Books: By Cassandra Clare, Mortal Instruments Series: 5 books, 6th book 3/19/14 (2007-present)
Infernal Devices Series (Prequel): 2 books, 3rd book 3/19/13 (2010-present)
There are also e-books and a graphic novel that go along with these. And look forward to a sequel series, Dark Artifices, in 2015.
Movie: August 23, 2013




-The Historian: The movie rights for this book were recently bought by Sony and a screenplay is in the works. I absolutely love this book, and there are even vampires in it. Well, it's actually a historical fiction novel about Dracula or Vlad the Impaler. The author, Elizabeth Kostova, writes with a fluidity I envy. Her thorough research creates a vivid, exciting story. If you have any interest in Dracula I suggest checking it out. As long as the movie sticks to the plot and picks the right cast I'll be seeing it in theaters.
Book: 1 book (2005) Also by Elizabeth Kostova: The Swan Thieves (2010)
Movie: More info to come.



-A Discovery of Witches: Warner Brothers Pictures just bought the movie rights to this book and a screenplay is being written. I stumbled across this book while at Barnes & Noble one day and added it to my book list. I read it and immediately loved it, so much that I read the sequel right after and proceeded to buy my own copies of both. The story combines vampires, daemons and witches with history. If there's any genre of books I can't get enough of, it's historical fiction and these books fit perfectly in that category. I'm hoping I won't be disappointed by the movie. It would be a hard letdown.
Books: By Deborah Harkness, 2 books (A Discovery of Witches, Shadow of Night), 3rd book being written, all are part of the All Souls Trilogy (2011-present)
Movie: More info to come.



And one more, just because the books have caused quite a stir.
-Fifty Shades of Grey: I'm sure most of you have either heard of these books or read them yourself. I'm not going to be embarrassed by saying I own all three. All I know about the movie is that the screenplay is being written and thoughts are being put out there about the cast. All I ask for is an attractive guy to play Christian Grey, I don't want to have another Robert Pattinson (yuck). I'll be looking forward to this movie and keeping up with its progress.
Books: By E.L. James, 3 books (Fifty Shades of Grey, Fifty Shades Darker, Fifty Shades Freed, 2011-2012) even though many people would like a fourth book James has said she will be writing other books using a pen name.
Movie: More info to come.



Hope you enjoyed another long post of mine. Look forward to an interesting post tomorrow. Thanks for reading.
          -Erin a.k.a. Bookworm

No comments:

Post a Comment